Chopta-Tungnath-Deoria Tal DIY Guide

Jitaditya Narzary

Is a traveller disillusioned by the familiar and fascinated with the unknown... and of course the founder of this blog.

I am trying to put together a comprehensive Do It Yourself guide for visiting Chopta, Uttarakhand. It is one of the easier and shorter yet most rewarding treks in Garhwal that can be done without any guide or assistance. I am trying to spoon-feed everything for the extreme novice. Advanced travellers can skip the basics and locate whatever they are looking for.

Where and what exactly is Chopta?

Actually Chopta is just a small settlement on the road with a few restaurants. When one says that he has trekked to Chopta, it basically means he has trekked upwards from that to the Tungnath Temple and further up to the Chandrashila. Tungnath is one of the panch kedars and so an important pilgrim destination. Chandrashila is the peak of that particular mountain.

Chopta (13)

Most people also cover the lake called Deoria Tal in this trip, which is in a slightly different direction but not very far. You approach the lake from Sari Village, which is around 15 kms away from Chopta.

Deoria Tal (7)

But I thought it was in Sikkim!

Yes there is a different place called Chopta Valley in Sikkim. Do not confuse this with that one although someday I will make it to that one too.

How to reach Chopta?

There are multiple routes. But you will have to reach Haridwar-Rishikesh first and move up along the NH 58. After that,
• Break your journey at Rudraprayag, go to Ukimath and then Chopta.
• Break your journey at Rudraprayag, go to Ukimath and then to Sari. Visit Deoria Tal and go to Chopta the next day.
• Break your journey at Rudraprayag, go to Ukimath and then to Sari. Visit Deoria Tal and trek to Chopta the next day via Rohini Bugyal.
• Break your journey at Gopeshwar (which is ahead of Rudraprayag), and then Chopta.

Now, I personally chose the 2nd one. The 4th route is longer but the road is supposed to be better. On the other hand the 3rd option is interesting but will take one day extra to accommodate more trekking, something we should have planned beforehand.

How to Reach Sari Village?

You will find shared cars at Ukhimath going towards Sari. They should not cost much per head although I don’t remmeber the exact amount now.

Approximate Distance Chart

Rishikesh to Rudraprayag 140 kms
Rudraprayag to Ukimath 42 kms
Ukimath to Sari 12 km
Sari to Chopta 16 km
Ukimath to Chopta 29 km
Rishikesh to Gopeshwar 214
Gopeshwar to Chopta 41

What exactly is to be done at Chopta?

Your car or bus will take you to Chopta. From there you will trek upwards. It is not a very long or hectic trek. The road is well built and there is no need for guides or assistance. Once you reach Tungnath, you can visit the temple and explore the hills. You will easily locate Himalayan Monals, an endemic species of pheasant. However prospects of locating other animals are thin.

Himalayan Monal (10)

The next day if the time permits you can trek upwards and summit Chandrashila which is around 4000 metres. I personally had to abandon this part for various reasons but it is not very difficult either.

Deoria Tal is in a comparatively lower region at around 2300 metres and you need to trek for around 2.5 kms from Sari Village to reach it. You can camp by the side of the lake. The tour operators at Sari can help you with that.

Sari Village (3)

What are the accommodation options at Chopta?

There are several basic accommodations around Tungnath Temple. Generally the lodge owners also cook food. In Sari Village, we stayed with Heera Singh Negi who can also arrange tents at Deorai Tal and guides for some other treks. All these rooms cost no more than INR 300-400.

When to Visit Chopta?

It is one of the few places in the region that is accessible throughout the year. The winter trek is more difficult as the route is completely covered in snow. But the best season is spring and early summer when the Rhododendrons are in full bloom. I was there in the 1st week of May.

Chopta (30)

What to Buy?

The squash made of Rhododendron, called Buransh by the locals is supposed to be good for health. You will get to buy bottles at the restaurants in Chopta.

Can you connect us to a guide?

While I trekked without a guide, you can surely hire one from Sari Village. They can also help you arrange for camping equipments such as tents and sleeping bags and take you to more remote areas that you cannot do alone.

I can suggest Umendra Singh Negi of Chaukhamba Himalayan Adventure for this purpose.

Phone 8958647802/9456534062
Email umendra.negi100@gmail.com

Jitaditya Narzary

47 thoughts on “Chopta-Tungnath-Deoria Tal DIY Guide

• 2015/04/16 at 4:54 pm

Your DIY guide is good!
    I am planning to do the Chopta – Tunganath and VOF treks this year. Could you tell me best time to visit to get clear views of Himalayas?
    Last year in May I trekked from Munsiyari to Khuliya top and the sky was completely hazy, hiding all the peaks all day long. Huge disappointment for me.
    Even your photos show cloudy skies.

Thanks

• 2015/04/16 at 5:18 pm

Thanks for dropping by…
      The weather in the hills is completely unpredictable… May should have been better… June and July will be even more difficult in terms of clarity of views… I suggest you try something post-monsoon/autumn season…

Have you seen my trips from last september?

• 2015/04/21 at 4:39 pm

Thanks for the reply. I saw pics of Chitkul just now. Amazing pics.
        Yes, I should will plan for Sept/ Oct instead.

• 2015/08/22 at 2:47 pm

i want to visit tunganath at september . for this reson i want a gide . please help about this matter .

• 2016/02/19 at 12:29 am

Excellent write up and the information is placed so well. The picture frames show the maximum view of the area. We a group of 5 are going to these areas in the first week of May 2016 as well as to Parvathi valley. Your blogs and info are so much helpful in our planning. Thank you so much and wish you to have many more beautiful trips in future.
    Chris

• 2016/02/21 at 4:15 pm

Hi,
    We are a group of 7 adults and 2 children, out of which 3 are senior citizen.
    1. Can kids aged 12 and 11 do this trek? They are very active kids and have trekked before.
    2. Where can we leave our parents while doing this trek as they cant walk with us?
    3. Is Sari a better place for them or Rudraprayag? We shall need good accomodation facilities.
    4. Do we need to hire a guide for the trek?
    5. If so, whom will you suggest?

Thanks a lot in advance. Regards.

• 2016/02/23 at 3:01 pm

Hi,

I did come across a group with several young kids and they seemed to be fine. It is not that long a trek and should be fine.
      Your parents can probably stay at Rudraprayag and visit the temples out there. You can also consider Devaprayag that comes before it.

Sari is a small village. Very convenient for the trek and great views. But not sure about all the facilities. Rudraprayag is a proper town that will have everything.

It can be done without guides, the route is straightforward. If you must take one, you will find them in Sari village.

• 2016/03/18 at 3:34 pm

Hi, read the DIY details, want to visit tungnath/ chandrashila next , have very limited 4 days in hand.
    Just few queries
    1. is it possible to reach chopta to haridwar by road in a day, basically how long does it take?
    2. I guess stay arrangements can be done in Chopta?
    3. where to take permits from as i read on many blogs?
    4. can i do chopta to tungnath/ chandrashila in a day & back?
    Thank you so much!

• 2016/03/18 at 10:23 pm

You can easily reach Sari or Chopta from Haridwar in one day… start early in the morning and you will have time left for the Deoria Tal trek in the afternoon…

You can stay at Tungnath after the trek…

I am not sure what permits you talk about. We did not need any. Probably it is needed if you go to Chopta from Deoria Tal directly through the jungles… it is an alternate route through Rohini Bugyal that I mentioned. I have not done it but you will need a guide for that purpose.

It is possible but ideal would be to trek to Tungnath from Chopta, spend a night up there, summit Chandrashila the next morning, and then come back.

• 2016/03/31 at 3:11 pm

Hi

It is a very informative post and photos are very beautiful as well. I have a plan to visit the place in the month of September.

Can you tell me wheather Chowkhamba peak will remain snow covered in this time of year ?

• 2016/04/01 at 1:18 pm

Hi Jitaditya,

A very well written snapshot with the required info, thank u for this. However, please suggest some stay options at Chopta, planning a trip to Chopta > Tungnath > Chopta > Chandrashila this month. And if you think, Chopta is not an option then as per your blog, its best to stay at Sari.
    Request you to please suggest if we should cover Deori Tal as well and also include some place worth the visit nearby, its for about a week that we look to travel for. Also wanted to know if we would be able to find some snow in the month of April at Chopta or any other place. Would we be fortunate to find some snow at Auli though?

Thank you for your inputs and time in advance. 🙂

• 2016/12/03 at 9:33 am

We are planning to visit this trek in January end. Is this right time to visit this place as we want to see snowfall.

• 2016/12/03 at 10:02 am

Yes you will see a lot of snow although trekking I guess is harder in snow. You may need some guides.

• 2017/02/15 at 7:41 pm

This is an excellent primer for those heading for chopta deoria tal trek. More so for independent trekkers since most guided operators have guide and everything is already arranged. The views are stunning…Must do trek!

• 2017/02/15 at 9:20 pm

Well written guide and a lot of helpful information. The views are also quite good.

• 2017/02/16 at 9:03 pm

Chopta looks like a beautiful place for a trek. I think I’d definitely like to go in the spring – the picture with the Rhododendrons in bloom sold me. Love the view from the top as well!

• 2017/02/18 at 11:20 am

Your pictures are always so beautiful and transport me to the destination. I have, unfortunately, never seen Himalayan Monals, so that certainly made for a pretty picture. And thanks for the guide details, that’s always useful to make plans 🙂

• 2017/02/18 at 3:28 pm

I have read this post about a year back when I was searching for some information to choose between trek to Kedarkantha and Tunganath. I chose to do the Kedarkantha trek then. This post came as a reminder that my trek to Tunganath is still pending.

• 2017/02/18 at 5:20 pm

A squash made of Rhododendrons? That definitely sounds interesting and I would love to try that. Chopta looks like a nice place to trek. I had only heard of Chopta valley in Sikkim before , not of this one.

• 2017/02/18 at 9:09 pm

The Chopta trek seems really mesmerizing. We always look forward to your posts as they cover some of the most picturesque places in Uttarakhand. This one too is a real eye opener to the ethereal beauty of this enchanted land. I love the picture of the pheasant, looks so beautiful.

• 2017/02/19 at 9:19 pm

Beautiful pictures and such an informative post. I am planning to travel to Rudraprayag this week. Will it be possible to take a trek to chopta in February and will it be too cold?

• 2017/02/20 at 2:05 pm

I have heard about Chopta trek in Uttarkhand. The pictures are so beautiful. Thanks for the detailed post.

• 2017/02/20 at 9:19 pm

Looks like an absolutely incredible trek. The guide is clear and helpful to get started planning. Buransh sounds like an interesting drink, I can’t imagine what it tastes like.

• 2017/02/21 at 3:38 am

What an amazing place to see 🙂 I would love to visit and admire all these incredible views. Very informative and useful post!

• 2017/02/21 at 5:03 am

This looks so beautiful! I really want to go trekking again! Will hopefully find a nice trip for this summer 🙂 🙂

• 2017/02/21 at 7:08 pm

It sounds like an easy trek to do with beautiful sights to see on the way. I would do the detour to see the lake as well, it looks very nice. I can’t believe how cheap it is to spend the night at Chopta. That’s like £3-£4/night!

• 2017/02/21 at 11:22 pm

Very useful guide on Chopta. Never knew of the place.. so bad my GK! 😛 🙂
    I loved reading the queries you are getting and your answers. Good work! Keep at it!

• 2017/02/22 at 1:56 pm

Sometimes when we get tired of those same old planned and touristy places we want to escape to places like Chopta where we can get lost amidst nature. No one to guide or assist except nature itself to allure us into its pristine landscapes. Those vistas of the green meadows and the lush green hills are awe-inspiring. Thanks for such wonderful posts of places we hadn’t known much about.

• 2017/02/22 at 2:19 pm

Thank you Jitaditya Narzary for taking the trouble to put it so beautifully & informative

• 2017/02/26 at 3:33 pm

Looks like an amazing place for hiking/trekking. India seems to have so much to offer and each place really has something of its own. Hope that I will be able to see it all for myself one day. 🙂

• Pingback: 24 Treks for 12 months of 2017 – Part 1 – the ETLR blog

• Pingback: Trek every month and make the most out of your holidays

• Pingback: Khirsu in Pauri Garhwal Uttarakhand | My Unfinished life

• 2017/06/23 at 7:24 pm

I’ll go to chopta first from Haridwar, then tungnath and chandrashila…
    On the way to return ,I want to come to sari village via rohini bugyal and deoriytal.
    Is it possible to come down the way from chandrashila to deorytal in a day??
    Next day I’ll come to haridwar via sari village.

• 2017/07/03 at 2:54 am

hi jitaditya.
    i wanted to ask that will it not be good if we visit chopta in july?

• 2017/07/04 at 10:36 pm

Hi, You can visit but as it will be raining, it may not be very comfortable. Also, on some days visibility might be affected due to the rains.

• 2017/07/05 at 4:23 am

thanks a lot.
        but will it be safe to travel in july?

• Pingback: Trek every month and make the most out of your holidays - Part 1

• 2017/12/09 at 12:51 pm

hi Jitaditya, great post. I am planning to go to chopta, deoriatal, tungnath from 25th till 27th Dec with kids (5 yrs) – how feasible is it.