Dubai is a vibrant and fascinating city. It is a haven for the tourists and expats, a magnificent holiday destination, and a sanctuary for the rich and famous. There is so much to know about Dubai which is intriguing and mysterious, just like its grandeur and extravagance. While Dubai is a global city known to everyone, it still has many interesting factoids to offer that may surprise you. Below are 21 interesting facts about Dubai that you probably didn’t know. These facts will ensure that Dubai makes it to the top of your travel bucket list.
- Only 15% of the total population of Dubai is Emirati. Foreigners make up most of the population of Dubai. There is a healthy mix of various nationalities in here. Of which the Indian population make up the larger share.
- With respect to the age demographics, the youth cover up most of Dubai. Only 15% of the total population is above 45.
- Each Emirate has its own king(or Sheikh). Dubai’s Sheikh is His Highness Sheikh Mohammad Bin Rashid Al Maktoum. He has played a greater role in making Dubai the destination it is.
- Dubai has the longest automated train network in the world. It has a 74.6 km stretch and offers world-class services.
- Foreigners cannot attain permanent residency or citizenship in the United Arab Emirates, no matter however long they live.
- There were just 13 cars approximately 52 years back. Today, the numbers are super-huge.
- Only Non-Muslims are allowed alcohol consumption as well as pork consumption.
- Dubai is one of the safest cities in the world owing to the negligible crime rate and extremely strict rules and harsh penalties even for small offences.
- Dubai has a huge number of “world’s largest” records. In fact, the most amusing fact is that there is an office of Guinness World Records set up in Dubai just to keep track of all of them.
- You can withdraw gold bars from many of the ATMs in Dubai. They give you such an option apart from the regular cash dispensing.
- Police of Dubai doesn’t drive around in ordinary cars. They drive luxury sports cars like Ferrari, Lamborghini, Mercedes etc.
- There is no such thing income tax in Dubai. Major businesses chose Dubai as their base for this simple reason. Foreign workers also see this as earning potential and come to Dubai for work from across the globe.
- The UAE government has a Minister for Happiness. Well, the focus is in the name itself, it means that the Minister looks after the happiness of the residents.
- The weekly off in Dubai is actually Friday and sometimes Saturday. It depends on which sector you work in.
- The desert is just so close to the bustling city! It takes only 20 minutes roughly to reach the Arabian Desert. Desert Safaris are amazingly enjoyable with delicious feasts and live entertainment.
- Palm’s Jumeirah is the world’s largest island. It is also visible from space.
- Burj Al Arab is the world’s only 7-star hotel offering the best of luxury. A night at the hotel costs you 1000 euros.
- The infamous Burj Khalifa is the world’s tallest building, approximately 830 metres tall. The observation deck in the building gives you a spectacular view.
- The world’s biggest shopping mall is the Dubai Mall which spans 5.9 million square feet and has over 1200 shops. It also has a full-sized ice skating rink and a luxury hotel.
- Dubai’s Miracle Garden is the biggest flower garden in the world with over 50 million flower and plants. It spans about 7,80,000 square feet in its area.
- Formula Rossa is the world’s fastest roller coaster which is located in the Ferrari World in Dubai.
Taken by the beauty of Dubai? Here’s how you can make a trip on a comfortable budget
If you’re planning to visit Dubai, you would require to book your tickets in advance to avoid inflated rates during the peak tourist season which is November to March because of the favourable climate conditions. For booking your tickets at the best price you can totally rely on OTA platforms like Cleartrip, which allow you to ‘set up fare alerts’ so that you get notified whenever there is a dip in prices of flights and compare and book at the best price. There are various airlines out there, Flydubai Airlines is a peculiar one which offers the best of services at affordable prices. You can book Flydubai tickets at the best prices on Cleartrip. Its website and mobile app have a super-clean interface without any ads or any form of glitches in the entire booking funnel. Also, you get assured rewards for every flight booking on Cleartrip in the form of hotel deals or instant cashback and many more. You can also apply for UAE e-visa on Cleartrip which has zero hassles; you get your Visa approved in 5-7 working days.