Undeniably, travelling is an enthralling experience which most of the people like to share with their friends or family. After all, you get to create so many memories with someone who matters the most in your life. But at the same time, solo travelling has the potential to give you a life-changing experience. Though it may sound like a cliché, sometimes you can be your best travel companion. Think of this way: You have limited money and time, so why not use it to fulfill your travel preferences to maximize satisfaction? If it is not enough to convince you, here are ten reasons in favor of solo travelling:
- Freedom frenzy: Once you start your journey, you will realize how independent you become. From deciding where to go, when to go, whom to talk or what to eat— it’s all on you. Want to skip the next planned trip to the zoo and go to an adventure park? You’re free to make your schedule as per your wishes without worrying if your travel companion isn’t digging the same thought. Travelling alone allows you to take your decisions purely on your desires. It is a rare luxury and feels damn good.
- Makes you spontaneous: Once you realize the essence of complete freedom, you will learn how to act at the moment. You will learn how to follow your instincts with the essence of common sense. Whether it’s a last-minute party invitation or a quick change in plans, travelling alone means you can do whatever you want in a blink of an eye without having to check with other people. Solo travelling helps you discover new ways of spontaneity in different situations which will surely ante the adventure level.
- Make life easier: We all have a bucket list of places where we want to go in our lifetime, but as we don’t have a companion, we avoid them. Everyone has their schedules, budget, and travelling interest, so coordinating with people can take weeks, or in some cases months also. It means you’ll take fewer and shorter trips and spend most of your time in coordinating travel dates. But when you travel solo, it’s just about you, and all you have to do is pack your bag and start your journey.So, go ahead and take a trip to far flung areas or a month-long jaunt across Europe. This is your life and you have all the rights to enjoy it in a way you want.
- You get ‘me’ time: In between all the bustles of exploring, you will get to understand who you are and what are your dreams and aspirations. You just come across a new trait or hidden potential which you never imagined existed before. When you are alone in a new place, you get a chance to project the version of yourself you always wanted to but often fail to do, may be due to work stress or relationship or out of the fear of the society. Solo travelling leads to a lot of self-discovery and memorable experiences. Imagine yourself sitting in peace at the beach under the moonlight. You’ll get a chance to learn a lot about yourself, which is impossible in the midst of the daily routine life. In short, solo journey gives you a chance of introspection.
- Befriend with unknown people: When you travel in a group, you tend to stick together. You might meet people here and there, but because you have a group, you don’t feel the need to go and talk to them. However, when you travel solo, you get an opportunity to meet and mingle with a lot of like-minded people from across the globe. It is almost certain that you will interact with locals— maybe for directions, guidance or for seeking any advice. Travelling solo doesn’t mean travelling alone always. Who knows, you might find your best friend or lover or create some beautiful memories which you will cherish throughout your life!
- Make your travel itinerary Remember, how many times you had to compromise or miss places during a trip just because your fellow companions voted against them. Or, how much time wasted in deciding: Where to stay? What to eat? Or, Where to go? Instead of this, why not make the most of your time and money by planning the gateway of your dreams as per your wishes? Whether you want to spend a whole night on a beach or visit ten museums in a day, there’s no one to stop you. You can sleep as much as you want, eat what you like or indulge yourself in any things which make you happy. Travelling is supposed to be a relaxing experience and solo travel makes it possible for you.
- Learn to face life’s hardships: Life is not always a bed of roses. Amidst all adventure and thrill, you will learn how to deal with life’s hardship. When you are all alone in a foreign land with no friend or family to bank on, you will gain a new confidence which will prepare you to take on life’s challenges. Many times, we let our fear or comfort stop us from taking life’s risk and end up missing out rewarding experiences. However, when you put yourself in a whole new environment, your priorities about life change in ways you never imagined. It boosts your confidence. It is good to have someone to rely upon, and it becomes more wonderful if that someone is you. In fact, if you’re terrified of strange places, you’re the right candidate for solo trips. Remember, life begins at the end of your comfort!
- Get a new perspective: People who are clogged in their daily routine will experience a blast of rejuvenation on their solo journey. A fresh perspective will lead to fresh ideas, and in turn, a completely fresh approach towards life. You’ll feel like a new person after completing your first solo trip.
- Become a storyteller: You’ll always have something to share with your friends or grandchildren, as there is nothing more adventurous than embarking on a courageous journey all alone. Your journey will also inspire others around you to live their dreams.
Handy tips to successfully travel alone
- Be accountable for your safety: Armed with heavy luggage and disoriented in a foreign land, tourists are the easy bait for theft. It is important to schedule your arrival at a new destination before the night falls so that you get ample time to navigate your way to the hotel.
- Be alert: Always keep your money in different compartments to avoid putting all eggs in one basket. While travelling, if you think something is amiss, switch to safer routes. It is always better to be safe than sorry.
- Buy travel insurance: A comprehensive travel insurance policy is your companion during a solo journey. The policy secures your trip against unforeseen circumstances, like lost passport/baggage, personal accident, etc.; and thus, ensures that you do not face any problems while travelling alone.
- Dress conservatively: If you are travelling to a place where people dress conservatively, follow the same, as it will avoid you being singled out.
- Stay in touch with your loved ones: Since you are travelling alone, it is a good idea to let your family or friends back home know your whereabouts.
- Trust your instincts: If you feel uncomfortable around a certain person in a certain situation, trust your instincts and get out of the situation as soon as possible.
- Be confident: The worst thing you can do for yourself as a solo traveller is looking puzzled or worried. Even when you’re lost, remain attentive and confident, no matter how tough the situation is.
Don’t be scared to walk alone. Don’t be scared to like it.
Still sitting and staring at this page? Make a run towards your closet, pack some essential items and start your solo journey. The world is waiting for you with open arms. Don’t miss out this awesome journey, which will not only refresh you but will also change your perspective. Go right ahead and don’t forget to capture your journey in beautiful pictures. You won’t regret it!