Located amidst lofty mountains in Karnataka, with a misty terrain throughout the year, it’s no wonder that the serene hamlet of Coorg is known as the ‘Scotland of India’. This highly sought-after hill station, which is also known as Kodagu, draws its reputation not only from its stunning landscapes replete with breathtakingly exotic views, but also from its abundant coffee plantations.
A spectacular tourist destination like Coorg deserves a spot in your bucket list. So, if you’ve decided to head to the hills for the weekend, here are just some of the places to visit in Coorg with your family.
1. Dubare Elephant Camp – One of the top things to do in Coorg, this delightful camp is just 29 kilometres away from Madikeri. Here, you can interact with the elephants, while enjoying stunning views of the flowing Cauvery. To enter, you’ll need to pay Rs. 1,447 Rupees per person, and make sure you’re there either between 8:30 AM to 11 AM, or 4:30 PM to 5:30 PM, so you can spend a good 2 hours there. Please remember, if you’re travelling with foreigners, they will have to pay Rs. 1,690 to enter.
2. Cauvery Nisargadhama – This serene island is less than 30 kilometres away from Madikeri and offers you the opportunity to enjoy boating and elephant rides! You’ll need to pay just Rs. 10 to enter (it’s only Rs. 5 for children), and you can spend anywhere between 30 minutes to 2 hours exploring. Please remember, the visiting times are only from 9 AM to 5 PM, so plan accordingly.
3. The Golden Temple – This Tibetan Monastery, which is 35 kilomtres from Madikeri, offers you a chance to meditate and relax. You can marvel at the gold-plated paintings on the walls and the marvellous idol of Buddha for free, but make sure you plan to visit between 9 AM and 6 PM.
4. Abbey Falls – The falls can be visited any time between 9 AM and 5 PM, and can be found just 8 kilometres from the Madikeri Bus Station. There’s an entry fee of Rs. 15 per head, but the stunning view of the gushing water is definitely worth it.
5. Raja’s Seat – A cool walk from the Madikeri Bus Station, Raja’s Seat offers spectacular sunset views. Early risers can head here for sunrise by 5:30 AM, but we wouldn’t recommend hanging out here after 8 PM. You have to pay just Rs. 5 to enjoy a marvellous view of the surroundings hills and valleys – not a bad deal at all.
6. Bhagamandala – We’d recommend heading here early in the morning. Just 36 kilometres from Madikeri, here you will find a sacred confluence of three rivers. A dip in the water here will calm your mind and uplift your soul. Visiting hours are between 6 AM and 6 PM, and don’t worry, entry is free for everybody.
7. Talacauvery – Believed to be the origin of the sacred River Cauvery, this delightful attraction sits at 1,276 metres above mean sea level, offering stunning views. You can visit any time between 6 AM and 6 PM, and there’s no entry fee required.
8. Madikeri Fort – Just a kilometre from the bus station, this 17th century structure takes you back in time. Visiting hours are from 10:30 AM to 5:30 PM, and you can lose yourself in history for over an hour. While entry is free for all, it’s important to remember that the fort is shut on Mondays.
9. Omkareshwara Temple – Interestingly, this temple boasts both, Gothic and Islamic styles of architecture, making it truly unique. Dedicated to Lord Shiva, the shrine is barely a kilometre away from the bus station. Devotees can head here between 6:30 AM and 12 PM and from 5 PM to 8 PM; and spend about an hour there. Don’t worry, there’s no entry fee that you need to pay to offer your prayers.
Once you’re done with your exploring for the day, you can retire for the night at the Club Mahindra Virajpet or Madikeri resorts, which are considered to be some of the most comfortable Coorg resort. Before you stay at Club Mahindra Coorg resorts, don’t forget to check out the Club Mahindra Reviews, we are sure you will find that guests always seem to enjoy their visits to these resorts.