Traveller FAQs

Parvati Valley DIY Guide: All You Need to Know About Kasol

Jitaditya Narzary

Is a traveller disillusioned by the familiar and fascinated with the unknown... and of course the founder of this blog.

Kalga (2)Everybody is going to Kasol nowadays, some for the sheer allure of the hills and some for a certain kind of plant that cannot be discussed openly. I have also noticed that while I have put in a lot of hard work in exploring and documenting many lesser known places, most of my readers are only interested in this region and more specifically that plant endorsed by those who worship the King of Ethiopia. Analytics also tells me that the posts about the trails surrounding Kasol, i.e. Malana, Rashol, and Kheerganga are drawing maximum organic search traffic. So, to shamelessly cash in on this trend, here is a comprehensive Kasol Travel Guide.

Where and What Exactly Is Parvati Valley?

Before getting into too much details, just understand the basic geography of the region. I have no cartographical skills whatsoever. But this map made using MS Paint should give you a basic idea about the order of things.

parvati valley trekking map

parvati valley trekking map

Distance Chart

Delhi to Bhunter 490 Kms
Bhunter to Jari 23 Kms
Jari to Kasol 8 Kms
Kasol to Manikaran 3 Kms
Manikaran to Barshaini 14 Kms

So, Parvati Valley is a nice little lower Himalayan valley in the Kullu District that can be reached through a small diversion from the highway leading to Manali. On the other side it connects to Spiti through the Pin Parvati Pass and it is also adjacent to the Great Himalayan National Park. However those are major treks that take several days, supplies, porters, and guides for experienced trekkers and are beyond the scope of this guide. The central point of the valley is Kasol, which has become a reasonably big town due to high tourist influx. Easy accessibility from the plains, especially from Delhi and Chandigarh, good tourist infrastructure, and the lure of the aforementioned plant has made this place highly popular among the millennial travellers including students and white collar workers. So, in case somebody suggests this region as an offbeat destination, please take it with a pinch of salt. It was probably offbeat 20 years ago when Indian travellers knew nothing beyond Manali and Shimla. It doesn’t mean that you won’t enjoy it but just don’t expect the extreme desolation and serenity associated with a really offbeat place.

Transport around Parvati Valley

It is pretty easy to reach. Take the Manali bound bus but get down at Bhunter, which is around 10 kms before Kullu and it also has the airport that serves this region. From there you get local connecting buses to Kasol which is around 30 kms away. Buses on this route go all the way to Barsheini but we’ll come to it later. From Bhunter Kasol bound buses leave on regular intervals throughout the day. I have even seen a bus to Malana (to the point where teh trek starts) but not sure how frequent it is. Within the valley, you will get local buses and shared cars wherever tehre is a road. AFter that you will have to trek. We will discuss the treks in a later section.

Where to Stay

Kalga (9)

Like most other places in the Indian Himalayas, you get small budget hotels here in the range of INR 300-500. However, Kasol is becoming too popular now and during the summer season it gets too crowded. As a result, the hotel owners tend to hike the prices and you will struggle to find rooms lower than 1000. However, there is no need to get frustrated at all because much cheaper yet delightful homestays are available in the inner villages. In fact at the end of every major trek you will find very budget friendly accommodation waiting. For example, I stayed for several days in Kalga village, en route to Kheerganga. The room at the local farmer’s homestay cost INR 150 per day and was big enough to accommodate three people.

What are the main places and treks to visit in Parvati Valley?

DSC_0307Kasol has been mentioned already. It has grown to be a town now with a huge population of Israeli settlers. I am actually no longer very fond of it. But if you are more fond of luxury then you wll probably like it. You can also enjoy various nternational cuisines at much lower costs compared to the big cities. You read my full Kasol Travelogue here. Manikaran (9)

Manikaran is just ahead of Kasol on the same road. You can even walk to it. It is a major Sikh as well as Hindu plgrim center with a natural hotwater spring where you can take bath. Check the Manikaran travelogue here.

Chalal (34)Chalal is a small village that you reach just by crossing the hanging bridge from Kasol. It is a straight walk rather than a trek but the views are delightful. Scores of hotels, homestays, and sites those rave parties are located in this area. Here is my detailed writeup on Chalal.

Tosh is another small village that has benefitted from the tourism boom. It is a short hike after Barshaini, the last roadhead. Views are good and there are many cool restaurants and homestays although I have never spent much time in this place. Instead, you can have a look at this Tosh story by Shubham Mansingka.

The Major Day Treks in Parvati Valley are the following. Malana (5)

Malana is a famous village not only due to its “agricultural products” but also due to their eccentric social rules and restrictions which have given rise to various stories and rumours about their origins. It is best approached from Jari (see map). Read my Malana travelogue for more. From Malana one can trek further to Mozik Valley although havn’t done it.

Rashol (27)Rashol is another high altitude village. The trek starts at aforementioned Chalal. Here is my post on Rashol trek. Kheerganga (13)

Kheerganga is the most famous trek in the region. It is longer than the ones mentioned above but yet possible to complete in one day. The trek starts after Barshaini. You can make a night halt in the small villages such as aforementioned Kalga and nearby Pulga. However, Khreeganga has also become too popular and as a result too crowded, especially in the summers. Off season trek may be more rewarding. Anyway, here are the detals of my disappointments at Kheerganga.

Do note that you are likely to find more food and cheap accomodation at the end of all these treks including Kheerganga. So, can choose to spend the night or come back the same day.

What are the longer treks possible in Parvati Valley

Many great trek routes go through Parvati Valley. As mentioned before, these are multi-day treks that require guides, and supplies. I have yet to try these ones but let me list them out for everyone’s convenience.

Pin Parvati Pass Trek (via Kheerganga and Mantalai)
Chandrakhani Pass Trek (Malana to Naggar)
Sar Pass Trek
Sara Umga Pass Trek (From Tosh)

Leave a comment if I have missed out something.

Good time to visit Parvati Valley?

Chalal (14)The valley is accessible throughout the year. The big, multi-day, treks will not be possible in the winter but the rest of the valley should not be a problem. Views and colours change according to season. My personal favorite is the spring (March-April) when the apricots bloom.

What about the thing that must not be named?

Chalal (25)

The good thing about it is that it normally comes to you rather than you having to look for it. According to my research, whenever you go out of your hotel room, every hour on an average 4.20 people will offer to sell it to you. However, the price and quality are uneven and even I am no expert in the same.

23 Comments

• 2016/11/23 - 3:03 pm | Permalink

wonderful photographs..

These particular stretch from Bhuntyar to Manikaran is amazing..beyond that I don’t know. Rashol is also a great place, Malana hash is more powerful than Rashol, although Rashol is primarily involved in that business unlike Malana folks.

• 2016/11/23 - 7:02 pm | Permalink

This has to be one of the most hilarious and informative at the same time post I have read in a while :-p .

Cheers,
    Rajiv

• 2016/11/24 - 2:05 am | Permalink

This looks absolutely gorgeous. Would love to go trekking there!
    Nadine Cathleen | Karateandcaviar.com

• 2016/11/24 - 8:00 am | Permalink

Forgive my ignorance on the subjects but I am now going to have to google some of the unmentionable items in this list as I am not familiar with the area! I need to know more about the eccentric social rules and ‘agriculture’! The treks however look beautiful, something we love to do. Would love to visit this area for myself in the future, even if it means trying out the luxury and tourism of Kasol!

• 2016/11/24 - 9:33 pm | Permalink

I love the pictures you put in your articles! But I really like this valley too, especially from the conifers I see. But I guess the plants people usually like from that area are “quite” different in shape and use from the aforementioned spruces.
    Anyway, you have for sure better skill at using MS Paint than me!

• 2016/11/25 - 12:28 am | Permalink

Your guide reminds how little of India I have explored so far, even though I find myself travelling there every year, for the past six years. To my shame, I knew nothing about Parvati Valley – as well as most of Himachal Pradesh though. Pictures are breath-taking!

• 2016/11/25 - 4:47 am | Permalink

The trekking looks really nice like the place too; all pictures are well done and i love some of those, included the last one with Bob Marley! 😀 keep writing, enjoy your day!

• 2016/11/25 - 8:21 am | Permalink

Amazing place. Awesome pics.

• 2016/11/25 - 4:51 pm | Permalink

A very helpful post on places in Parvati valley.

• 2016/11/26 - 12:36 pm | Permalink

Looks like a very thorough guide. I haven’t heard of what people go there to seek plant-wise-I will have to look it up as you don’t mention what it is.

• 2016/11/26 - 7:01 pm | Permalink

A good guide to the place. I am tempted to visit in apricot season and taste them fresh.
    Excellent photography. Worth a trek and few days of holidays.

• 2016/11/27 - 5:35 pm | Permalink

Thanks for sharing the info on all the treks one can do in the Parvati valley. I admire your sense of adventure and quest for the off beat destinations. It’s funny how certain agricultural products bring the tourists.

• 2016/11/28 - 12:22 am | Permalink

Great pictures and information as always. This guide is very helpful for those who want to make their way to this beautiful destination.

• 2016/11/29 - 1:53 am | Permalink

Im a big fan of hiking so this looks like heaven to me! And the colour of the sky is absolutely stunning – I can see why everyone is visiting at the moment!

• 2016/11/29 - 11:31 am | Permalink

Malana has always attracted me as a destination, exactly for the reasons you mentioned. It has been a dream to explore Parvati valley. I will use this guide when I finally plan a trip.

• 2016/11/29 - 7:03 pm | Permalink

I would love to hike in this area, it looks so beautiful! I have recently seen some photos from the Indian Himalayas and it arose my will of visiting. I love hiking and the valley of Parvati looks like an excellent place to do this activity.

• 2016/11/29 - 7:46 pm | Permalink

I always learn about new places when I visit your blog, I love that! These photos are beautiful and are making me more excited for our trekking trip to Nepal next year.

• 2016/11/29 - 11:53 pm | Permalink

Wonderful story and amazing pictures 🙂 I wanna visit this place in the close future, so thank you for tips 🙂

• 2016/11/29 - 11:53 pm | Permalink

It really looks beautiful on your photos. There are just so many places to visit and India is just climbing on my list. I really hope to visit some of the amazing places that you are posting about one day. 🙂

• 2016/11/30 - 11:05 am | Permalink

“Here’s a map I made with paint” lolololololololol
    I die.

Beautiful pictures though, for real. Sounds like you feel about this place the way I felt about Pai. And if what I hear about Dali is true, then probably how I’ll/we’ll feel about there as well. Hyped beyond hype by the backpackers as the mecca of all things hippie and grand…aka pot. And then they miss out on all the good shit -like those mountains, my god!- bc they’re too busy smoking pot and wearing tacky tie dye fisherman pants. LE SIGH. I was bored of smoking weed by senior year of high school, so…needless to say, I don’t fit in with the hippies. It’s sad really, for I do very much enjoy men with long hair who say “brah” a lot. Life is an endless struggle, clearly.

• 2016/12/02 - 1:02 am | Permalink

It is always fun to read your posts! Great sense of humour + Wonderful pictures = entertaining read.
    …I visited Kullu/Manali several years ago and have been wanting to visit again. Somehow the ticket prices have always been a bit prohibitive. Someday, I shall make it. When I do. I would love to visit some of the villages/towns that you have showcased so nicely through your photos. Thanks for sharing!

• 2016/12/12 - 11:20 am | Permalink

Haha, I love your sense of humour Jita.

As always, excellent write up and informative post. Perhaps one of the best written on Parvati Valley.

Also, thanks for mentioning my Tosh Blog Post here.

Shubham

• 2016/12/13 - 1:52 pm | Permalink

woow what a nice recap and love the pics thanks