Traveller FAQs

Dholavira: Guide for Budget Travellers

Jitaditya Narzary

Is a traveller disillusioned by the familiar and fascinated with the unknown... and of course the founder of this blog.

Dholavira Traveller FAQs

I guess you have already checked the posts regarding Bird Watching as well as the main travelogue about the IVC ruins at Dholavira. Now I am trying to construct a comprehensive guide for visiting Dholavira.

Where exactly is Dholavira located?

It is inside an island called Khadir amidst the desolated salt plains of the Rann of Kutch. But it is so remote that it takes a long time to reach it even from Bhuj, the biggest city in Kutch.

How to reach Dholavira?

Dholavira has to be reached by road. But the good thing is that the roads are extremely good. Assuming that you are already in Kutch, you can hire cabs from Bhuj but it is a long way and I personally feel it is a pointless expense. You get buses from Bhuj all the time to a place called Rapar, which is the nearest big town and takes around five hours. From Rapar you get regular government as well as private buses that take around three hours to reach Dholavira, which are actually a small village and mostly the last stop for the buses. You get buses from early morning till late evening.

On the other hand, if you are doing a standalone trip to Dholavira, you don’t have to go all the way to Bhuj. You can directly reach Bhachau on a train, and move to Rapar and so on. Check the map for a better understanding.

Returning from Dholavira

Returning is a bit tricky because the last bus for Rapar leaves Dholavira at 12:30 PM and nothing after that. So, be careful in this regard. You can reach the previous day and spend the night OR reach early morning, hurriedly visit the site and take this last bus.

Mobile and internet network in Dholavira

I think it is generally well connected in terms of mobile phones. Most major SIMs should work. But my internet dongle failed to find anything.

Taking Personal vehicles, bikes and cars to Dholavira

In case you want to drive or ride yourself, you should enjoy it because, as stated before, roads are smooth, straight, and not really crowded.

Nearest Train Stations to Dholavira?

Stations like Bhachau and Samkhiali Junction and pretty close from Rapar. All Bhuj bound trains from other parts of India should stop here. From the you can get buses to Rapar and then to Dholavira. I had a return ticket from Bhuj station but I realized that there was neither rthe time nor the need to get back to that place. So, I rushed back to Bhachau from Rapar and caught the same train after a couple of hours.

Where to stay in Dholavira?

There is practically only one place to stay called the Toran Tourist Complex, which is a government rest house. I have seen some other facilities being built, but not sure how to contact them. As for Toran, one can just call them up for booking. But nowadays you can also go for book Toran through Stayzilla. It has nice cottages built in the shape of traditional huts with both AC and without AC. I paid INR 500 for a night for the non-AC room. Carry your photo-IDs and cash. There are no ATMs out there either but the staff if generally helpful.

Food facilities in Dholavira

Out there, the tourist complex is the only source of food. Menu depends on what is available and what can they cook. If you are not spending the night, carry some light food from Rapar itself.

How to reach the main site at Dholavira?

It is a brisk walk of a Kilometer or so from the tourist complex. Unless you are as adventurous as me, just keep walking through the road till you locate the entry point and the museum.

• Ajit
    2014/03/25 - 12:00 pm | Permalink

Wow… a really helpful post when I was planning for Dholavira… thanks!

• 2014/03/26 - 7:48 pm | Permalink

A much needed informative post!

• 2014/03/26 - 10:41 pm | Permalink

Thank you for all these vital info.

• 2014/03/28 - 2:36 pm | Permalink

Great post and thanks for sharing

• 2014/06/02 - 10:38 pm | Permalink

Oh! I remember studying about Dholavira in history class in college (hello, architect here 😉 ). It had caught my fancy then, but I guess I forgot about it. The info looks great, maybe I should plan a trip. Hmmmm :)

• 2014/06/02 - 11:36 pm | Permalink

yes you should… you won’t be disappointed… plan for the entire Kutch, a lot of inspirations for architects… :)

• Pingback: 2014 Roundup | The Travelling Slacker

• Joe Dias
    2015/07/13 - 8:59 pm | Permalink

Thank you very much Jitaditya. Your information was very valuable as I have planed a trip there. Only I want to know if there are places for the night halt at Rapar?

• Prateek
    2015/11/09 - 11:03 am | Permalink

hope we have petrol pumps enroute dholavira, i am planning a bike trip and my bike mileage aint that good, so if i plan to further rinde into the kutch then would finding a petrol station be an issue?

• Sai Nair
    2016/02/14 - 1:56 pm | Permalink

Thanks a lot Jityaditya ! This blog immensely helped in planning my one day trip to Dholavira. I am planning to stay at Dholavira’s govt resort for a night.My train leaves from Samkhiali the next day (At night).So I have a whole day to witness the Ancient Civilzation.

• Sreemanti
    2016/02/19 - 3:11 pm | Permalink

Hi, I am planning a trip to visit Dholavira later this year. Could you please tell me how to get to Dholaira from Ahmedabad? Also in all probabilities i will be travelling alone, and am close to 50yrs, therefore need to have my travel plans completely straightened out before i hit the road. How long would you suggest i stay there?? I would basically like to know how long it will take to see the ruins and the museum. Thanks.

• 2016/02/21 - 1:08 pm | Permalink

You can get train from Ahmadabad and get down at one of the stations that I have mentioned here and then take a but to Rapar and to Dholavira.

However, if this seems too hectic, look to hire cars from Ahmadabad but I am not sure how easily they are available. You will get more such options in Bhuj because it is the centre of Kutch, but you will have to reach Bhuj first from Ahmadabad.